Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Edinburgh, Doune, and Falkirk - Sept 15

Edinburgh has very interesting topology, with the castle up on a hill. We had castle burn-out, and didn't go in. Debbie recovered by shopping for tartan scarfs. My grandmother told us that we were related to the Edinburgh Stevenson's (the famous author Robert Louis Stevenson, and his father and brothers who build most of the early Scotland lighthouses), but I'm not sure we can establish a direct link. My middle name is Stevenson with a "v", but my Mom's extensive genealogical research includes many Stephenson's (with a "ph"), only two Stevenson's, who are suspiciously married to women named Stephenson. So I'm not sure. The lines probably merge at some point anyway, so what does it really matter? I haven't found any direct link to the steam engine Stephenson's either. I suppose we'd all like to think we're related to someone of historical significance, maybe it makes us think we have more potential. But then again, any person who really accomplished something didn't do it because they were related to someone famous. More often I think the most successful people come out of obscurity.
This is Doune castle (in Monty Python and the Holy Grail), and the Falkirk Wheel, a sort of giant ferris wheel for canal boats.

No comments: