Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Malpas Steam Rally - Sept 11th


We had planned this weekend around a yearly country fair exhibiting steam powered vintage tractors, held out on a farmers fields. These are truly beautiful beastly machines, especially when they are all fired up on coal.
There were about 40 full size steam tractors and rollers, and about 25 miniature ones. It seemed like a good activity for grandpas and grandsons.
There were also all sorts of vintage military vehicles, tractors, buses, trucks, and motorcycles. There were three personally-owned tanks. No need for the NRA in England I guess.
I've never encountered men with such toys!
There was a working steam fire engine pumping water. There were food booths and many antiques dealers were set up in tents.
There was also a vintage carnival, some rides powered by steam engines, and hobby tents. I was in mechanical engineer heaven. Debbie says I can have one.

Here's a link to the Malpas Steam Rally Website

Videos from the rally:

Some of the engines were getting stuck on the wet grass/mud.


No comments: